Friday 7 March 2008

Another Week on


So another week down and another hire car returned to Avis at the airport. We will be leasing a car soon but just have to wait another couple weeks as we don't have a credit rating yet. I have been driving more and more but it still seems really strange driving on the wrong side of the road. I have to concentrate really hard when i arrive at a junction not not turn onto oncoming traffic.

The poker this week has been tough and I have suffered a few loses 1/2 due to getting my big pairs cracked and 1/2 due to me calling raises and reraises preflop when I know im behind. The standard is so low on the most part that I try to win every pot I enter. I have to remember that they will be another pot along in a minute and to be more patient. Over the last couple of days I have recouped my loses by tightening up and controlling the pots i'm in. The other thing I have been doing is leaving the table at the right time. Not staying to long in order to lose my winnings back.

I have also mixed up my venues a bit by playing the Venetian, Red Rock, Wynn and Bellagio. Im not a fan of the Bellagio poker room or of the people that work there. The staff all seem arrogant an the atmosphere in the room just isnt the same as other cardrooms on the strip. It seems like the staff are more important rather than the players. So I played my first session in the Bellagio since the move as I was meeting up with Simon Galloway who was over and staying in the Bellagio. While I was playing in the cash game Simon was playing in the $500 daily tournament. He has won a sat into the tourney in the morning and went on to win the comp and picking up nearly $6k from his $130 spent. Well played Simon.

I played the Red Rock this afternoon and collected a nice little win and I was out the door in less than 2 hrs. I have really started to work out how to play in this room. It is quite amazing the difference between each of the different poker rooms in Vegas. Already I had a reputation as an action player and as being loose and that I bluff a lot. Now though I have my timing a lot better and have picked my spots a lot better.

I have been only playing cash so far since I have been here but as im spending more time around the rooms im listening to comments made around the table regarding which of the tournys around town are the best value and the softest.

I took Simon up to the Red Rock one night to show him around. Its about a $30 cab ride from the strip and id advise anyone to visit if they get a chance. Along with Nancy we had a great meal at the expensive but high quality night out in T Bones. Im sure there will be plenty of other visitors from the UK that will enjoy a night out at T Bones, Jeff Buffenbarger and Julian Thew come to mind. It will take Julian an hour just look through the wine list.

So the weekend is now upon is and im watching Chelsea getting beat by Barnsley in the FA cup. So after Liverpool(my team) winning and Man Utd getting beat its already been a great start to the day. As soon as the football is finished ill be off down to the strip to meet all the tourists and to spend a full day playing. Ill prob start in the Venetian but as Simon is going home after the weekend ill prob go meet him in the Bellagio at some point. I havent played the MGM yet or Ceasers on this trip so I might have a look in there too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds awful...book me a table please jim

vinny said...

another good post jim.

More please.

Jeff Buffenbarger said...

Steaks at the Red Rock sounds good.

Not long before WSOP....time is flying

PS: If I go with Julian I will pick the wine.......