Saturday 22 December 2007

21st Century


Poker in the UK has now entered the 21st Century.
I made the drive up to Nottingham last night. Some 145 miles around the M25 and then M1 led me to this powerhouse of a pokerroom. I had set the sat nav but was suprised at just how easy it was to get to Rob Yong's new club. Upon arriving i quickly received my membership card and entered the club for the first time. I walk in and slowly turn my head from side to side trying to take in as much as I can from my full 180 degree view. I dont think i have ever walked into a cardroom seeing such energy even in Vegas. I spot a few familiar faces and walk over to say hello. Simon Trumper (who runs all the poker at DTD) is introduced to me, and offers me a full personal tour of the club. He talks me through all the ins and outs of the club. The tv tables, how the tournament system works through the 22 plasma screens around the room. He takes me into the bar and restaurant which is very special and been done out to the highest order. The next part of the tour he takes me to the VIP lounge and shows me the private cash tables out the back for the big game. I thank Simon for the tour and made my way to the cash game desk and put my name on the £5/£5 dealers choice game and within minutes a new table is opened to accomodate. Soon enough we have a very lively game with some big name players and a few value stars in the game. I find my feet quite quickly even though I only really know the style of play of a couple of the players. SuperStud was the main game of choice which is becoming more and more the game of choice in the dealers games that I sit in. SuperStud creates some monster pots many of which result in multiway allins. If you are in form in this game you can end up with a very profitable session, maybe moreso than any other game.
I ended up doing my money in the game i didnt have the greatest run of the cards during the session but i felt that i had played ok for my first venture at DTD. We had some great banter all night and as i say even though I had a hefty lose I definatly had a very enjoyable night and im looking forward to my next game at DTD.
All of you out there that reads this blog I ask you to visit DTD as soon as possible if you havent already. When you get there you will be glad you made the trip.

2 comments:

Mick McCool said...

Good Post Jim and sorry about the Quads buddy. Dropped a bag there last night in another massive game. But l did get a lesson of Dave C. on Super Stud away from the tables which should help. See you soon mucker.

snoopy1239 said...

Lol, no one folded a hand at the Super Stud games in Nottingham. Not often you see a 10-way all-in!